A Tale of Two Cities

My heart is in two cities - Grahamstown, South Africa and Edinburgh, Scotland. God, send me!

27 October 2005

The Back of Beyond

I am, in two words, totally knackered. How do I find these jobs? Would somebody out there please find me a job where I can either hide in a book... or climb trees... or pick flowers... okay, I know it's real life - as my dear old dad likes to remind me.

One week after I arrived here I was tired enough to resign and sheepishly hightail it back to Edinburgh, though the Lord knows what would have happened there, where you spend money just by breathing. One trial or the other, I figured. Anyway, I was persuaded to stay. It's alright. When I wake up in the morning, I look out across a field of grazing sheep - beyond that, a line of trees, and then the beautiful Loch Tay at the foot of a mountain which promises to be covered in snow in the very near future. I'll manage to save some money, and learn useful things like how to carry a vacuum cleaner without tripping, and how to fold up an ironing board (one of the eternal great mysteries of the universe). There are unfortunately no Australian diversions at this hotel ;).

Today I drove a car for the first time in Scotland. It was so good to drive again - I took our staff car and drove to a nearby (30km) village. The autumn colours and farm lanes...

It's generally well with my soul. I still have this dull feeling a lot of the time that life is just plain pointless if I cannot be in Grahamstown, but the other day I had such a big thought about my... destiny... here... that I got butterflies in my tummy. Just for a moment.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:31 am, Blogger RoG said…

    Howdee Pam! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I must say I had no idea what you were up to until I spent a few minutes on YOUR blog. Great to hear you're having a good adventure over there. My email address is rogergordon and then 'at' and then gmail dot com. By the way, you should never write your email address on a webpage (like my blog) because someone will get it and the next thing you'll have 40 spam messages a day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home