A Tale of Two Cities

My heart is in two cities - Grahamstown, South Africa and Edinburgh, Scotland. God, send me!

27 August 2005

Tent Maker Training 1

Well, today we had our first of two training sessions. It was awe inspiring and very exciting to think that the leader leading and teaching us has not only theory but the practice of ten years (in the Ukraine)! I can't put it all down here, but there are a couple of things I want to share. I think the major thing which struck me so much was the time spans Pastor Tom was talking in. In Grahamstown, there is an intensity... an urgency... which is different... here, Pastor Tom will throw things out like "It'll take you between 18 and 36 months to really settle down, and get over the culture shock, and be truly able to become all things to all men!" He keeps emphasising that slow is fast, and we want to grow, but we need to build a strong foundation.

He also reminded us that the devil is not sitting back and wondering if we will manage. He will fight us on every inch, over every soul. He's not letting go of Edinburgh too easily.

The strategy in a nutshell is in 1. an Outreach Meeting every Sunday, specifically designed to welcome guests, to worship God wholeheartedly, and for the word taught to be applicable to life. We want to cut weirdness out of these meetings eg. "turn to the person next to you..." and help people to relax. We all have to fill in visitor's cards - called 'connection cards' - every week so no one feels stuck out. We will have a Believers' Meeting on the first Sunday night of every month.

And 2. Outreach Lifestyles - we will all be put in Discipleship Groups which will be primarily for accountability about outreach lifestyles - and we can decide what we can do - from coffee dates with one person to running Alpha Courses! We know who we know and what will work best.

Pastor Tom is strict on terminology... we won't publicly refer to people as believers until they have made the public declaration of water baptism, or as disciples until they are doing the Purple Book. I can see that this is to keep facts straight, hype down, and keep building that strong foundation.

I am excited to be on this front line. It is an honour - a unique privilege. In 60 years time, when my grandchildren ask me what I was doing when revival swept up Europe, I'll tell them I was there, in the middle of it! Come on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home